Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Fountain Pens Save Lives

Candelyn:  Tell me about some relative of ours whose life was saved by a medic shoving a fountain pen or something into his artery so he could live after being wounded horribly  in WWII.




This story is about my cousin, Melvin Denham, who was drafted into the Army during World War II and went to fight in Europe.  He was wounded in the neck and was bleeding badly from his jugular vein (I think) and a medic came by and inserted a bladder from his fountain pen and it saved his life.  I was 6 yrs old when the war started and so this is all I remember about the story.  Melvin's mother, Florence, was my mother's older sister and the family lived less than a block from our house.  They had four children, all older than us by a few years, but we spent a lot of time at their house.  The father,Virgil, was the local postmaster so we knew all the gossip about everyone in town.  They also had an orchard in Shumway and we often helped pick apples there or went fishing in the creek there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment